Frequently Asked Questions
- Who is my academic advisor?
- Why should I see an academic advisor?
- How often should I see my advisor?
- Advising Tips
- How do I make an advising appointment?
- What if I am unable to come in for an advising appointment?
- How do I change my major?
- Are you considering dropping one or more courses?
Who is my academic advisor?
Your advisor is assigned based on your major or your departmental assignment. The specific name of your advisor can be found in the top right-hand corner of your Academic Advising Record in ISIS. If you do not find an advisor's name on your Academic Advising Record, you should contact the department to which you are assigned.
*Click on this link to find your assigned department and how to contact them: Who Is My Advisor?
Why should I see an academic advisor?
Academic Advisors can:
- Provide students with necessary information to complete education and career goals in a timely manner
- Assist students as they clarify their educational, personal, and professional goals.
- Offer guidance to students as they select appropriate courses for their major and/or minor.
- Share valuable discipline-specific information about the student's desired field of study.
- Connect students to campus and community resources.
- Help students avoid, or if necessary, recover from, academic missteps.
- Release the automatic advising hold placed on student records each term before registration.
- Answer questions regarding student's academic progress (i.e. course withdrawal, degree program requirements, changing major, etc.)
How often should I see my advisor?
- Students should speak with an advisor any time they have questions or concerns regarding their academic progress.
- Students interested in declaring a major or minor or changing their major or minor should also speak with an advisor.
- Regardless of major, students are required to see an advisor before each registration period.
- Schedule advising appointment with your advisor before each registration period. (This is required for all students.)
- Schedule appointment with your advisor in a timely manner.
- Find out when advising week begins in your department before registration begins.
How do I make an advising appointment with an ACE advsior?
- Go to Make an Appointment and follow the instructions on how to make an appointment to see your advisor.
- Students who are off campus/online receive advising by phone, email or by Skype. After the advising session, the advisor sends an email summarizing the conversation and indicting the courses recommended for the next semester. The student is requested to respond to the email acknowledging they received the written plan.
How do I change my major?
- The change of major form can be accessed online in MyCSU.
- Once you are logged into MyCSU, click on the student link in the left navigation.
- Under Resources you should see a link for Change of Major.
- The form can be filled out and submitted online.
Are you considering dropping one or more courses?
Please use the Course Withdrawal Check List (PDF) and ask yourself these questions before you complete the withdrawal process.
For other questions and/or more information please contact: